Sharing Our Wisdom
Intergenerational Workshop with Senior Adults and Youth
DESCRIPTION: A fun, active, spirited workshop with Senior Adults and Youth (usually high school age). Components of the workshop include:
- Initial interaction between the youth and senior adults
- Reflection on the wisdom each has learned and intergenerational sharing of that wisdom
- Reviewing stereotypes of both groups
- Playing a life story game (stories, laughter, insights) in small groups
- Celebrating closing prayer ritual.
- The opportunity for intergenerational sharing results in contacts that continue beyond the workshop, and increase connections within your organization.
EVALUATION: Some sample comments from participants listed below. Further evaluations included in packet.
“It allows the elder generation and the younger one to understand each other better:
“What could be better than building new bridges and breaking barriers.”
“Speaking one on one with a senior adult” (Y)
“Wisdomworks produced a very fast paced, fun-filled workshop.
“Valuable: “Just being able to talk with some senior adults.” (Y)
“I got to know new people and learn new values in life that I’ve never known before.”
“I had fun and I really value time with people that have been on this Earth longer than me.” “The ideas moved on and time seemed short.”
OPTIONS AT THE LOCAL LEVEL: This workshop works well by itself and automatically generates on-going connections between the youth and senior adults. Additionally, the follow-up can be more formalized through follow-up workshops, or through use of a follow-up packet available through Wisdomworks.
I. 2 hour workshop.
II. 2-4 hour workshop/retreat
III. All day retreat/reflection